Title

Title

Shopping For Olive

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Quotes From Olive Borden


Here is a collection of rare quotes from Olive ...

On being an actress: "I can think of no other business in the history of the world which has the romantic charm of the motion picture industry. I do not know how others feel but I regard it as a privilege and an honor to be given the opportunity to entertain millions of theatergoers all over the world."

On love: "I never thought much about the men folks. It would be mighty nice to have money. But the man would blot out the dollar if all I hear about love is true."

On her future plans: "My plans are not set yet. I think it would be wonderful to be with United Artists, but so far there is absolutely nothing to say. I need a rest, however, and mother and I may take a trip. Yes, Europe is a possibility, but we have had no time yet to really plan anything."


On money: "I wanted money, a lot of it. Why? I don't know except that earning it pleases ego, spending it whets vanity. It adds to that absurd importance. With the inflated estimation of self, the more money you get, the more you want, to increase prestige. And it is handy to purchase places and such trinkets."

On selling her mansion: "It's much nicer being in a little house. Now I can sit in my bedroom and call to mother and she can hear me. It used to be that I had to write her a note. What's the use of a big house with only two people to live in it? What's the use of all the pomp and ceremony when you're not the type you're playing."

On what she wanted: "I've two ambitions. On the screen I want to be a good comedienne. And off the screen I want to be a real, honest-to-God woman!"


On choosing parts: "If I don't like a story or a part I just don't do it. But when I get something I like I work like the devil. Consequently I am accomplishing far more than I ever did before and I'm not working half as hard."

On her exotic image: "Look here, I was never a grand lady. I was always just a crazy kid. I couldn't be what they wanted me to be. And the more I tried the bigger fool I was. How could I have dared myself such grand airs when I was making such bad pictures? I'm not that exotic, vampish type. I don't want to be a great dramatic actress. I'm not sophisticated. Why should I play sophisticated roles?"

On life after World War 2: "Since I got out of the Army I've gone from job to job. Something always goes wrong."


On success: "The acclaim of the theatergoers, no matter how enthusiastic they have been, does not put an actress in the front ranks of success. Success to be real and positive must be won. It has to endure the test of varying viewpoints the world over of incessant criticism. It is a logical thing - success - the logical outcome of underlying conditions."

On being labeled temperamental: "When I left the Fox lot about a year ago I was so nervous I didn't know if I was temperamental or not. So I moved to the beach for three months and became just a kid again, doing the things kids like to do and enjoying myself generally. Then I came back and want to work because I wanted to prove to myself that I am not temperamental."

On leaving Fox: "I was perfectly willing to renew my contract but I wanted a chance to do something worthwhile; and they wouldn't let me have it. I was willing to be a sweet young thing or a wicked vamp or even the 'clothes-horse' I had been in so many other pictures - but I put my foot down when it came to be all three of them at once, without rhyme or reason."


On wearing a gown: "Clothing makes all the difference in the world. Men say a girl looks charming in trousers, but I'm sure I felt far from that state. There is something about a gown that is immensely feminine and when you don masculine togs you have a funny sensation. At least, I do. I feel like a rank impostor."

On playing Anita in The Eternal Woman: "Playing this fiery girl of the Argentine is different from anything I have ever attempted. This Anita is intensely emotion, vivacious, and unrestrained, but with a capacity for a great love or a great hate. Impulsive, quick in her decisions, she is unwavering in her loyalty."

On finding a husband: "The most important requisite in the man I shall marry is that he will be one who will not interfere with my career in any way. An actress of stage or screen must have a man who will leave her free to devote herself to her career when necessary. I notice how clean and well dressed a man is first thing and then if he has a dashing and interesting personality - I am interested - beyond that I cannot say."


On her ideal man: "At boarding school back in Baltimore, when we used to gather in somebody's room and talk about our ideal man, some of the girls used to say things like "he must be very tall" or "he must have blue eyes". I always just said "he must be the sort who understands moods, and is kind, and he must have a sense of humor about himself and other people."

On relationships: "I wouldn't have a man I had to hold. It seems to me like playing games with the most sacred thing that can happen to you. Real love should be rooted in sincerity. I'd hate to fee I had to pretend about it."

On getting into character: "To me the girls in the pictures are real live people. I always try to put myself in their position and imagine how they would feel under the same circumstances. Then I act accordingly."


On playing dramatic roles: "I feel a thousand times better equipped to handle really dramatic work now that I have had the benefit of this comedy experience. When I was getting my start, I thought it quite ridiculous when an extra would spoil her own chances by either declaring or thinking she wasn't the type for a certain part, so, when the chance to play comedy vamps came to me, I took it gladly, trusting that clothes and cosmetics would make the woman."

On her health problems: "The whole world has fallen in on me. But the doctor's will make me well. What will I do then? Perhaps I can help my mother here where she's found her happiness."

On being a WAAC (Women's Auxiliary Army Corps): "I didn't have any children dependent on me. I wanted to help where I could do the most good. I figured the WAAC's would know where that was. Being a WAAC is harder work than being an actress. Drilling on ice is hazardous but an actress has to get up as early as a WAAC when on location."

On living at the Sunshine Mission: "I have found the one thing Hollywood couldn't give me - happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment